31. Newcastle, Merewether ocean baths (2003)

Mereweather Ocean Bath, Newcastle, Australia. I relocated to Newcastle Australia in November 2003. It certainly was a change sea from my time at Reading in the UK. Newcastle was a great first impression of Australia and Australian way of life to me. Newcastle was my city for about 8 months. I did not even complete one year but I still talk about it even thirty years later.

Deciding on an image that represents my first impression of Australia was not easy. I often thought of landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House, but it was this simple architectural gesture, a bath by the ocean that much got me. It eventually became my local pool once I moved into my flat on Woodward Street, Mereweather, Newcastle. First impressions dp matter.

Guillermo Aranda-Mena Ⓒ2023

Comments