34. Singapore, the Little Red Dot (2006)

This a painting in the Voyage_50505 series which I could also titled 'room with a view', many of my paintings have been drawn from a room hotel while travelling, mainly, but not always, if the view is great or depicts interesting man-made or natural landscape. I have been teaching in Singapore (AKA as the little red dot due school teachers pointing at the world map indicating the location of the Singapura nation) for nearly 20 years, and although I can not claim that I have lived in such a place, I have got to know a few people and made a few friends over the year, I have taught 1000s of architects, engineers and construction managers over this lengthy period, many of them doing great in their chosen professional fields and that is what makes my relationship with Singapore quite especial.

I have known Singapore since before many of the landmarks depicted in this painting where built, and if I was to paint the same frame on my early visits this frame would have been mainly blue and brown, blue for the ocean and the sea, and brown for the soil which was reclaimed and which later became Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands. The Singapore Flyer (ferries wheel), MBS including the double-helix bridge, and the more recent Esplanade tower by Norman Foster were not there. Singapore has grown and continues growing at a rapid but controlled pace, AND it certainly is not little, appearances often deceive!

Enjoy your next visit to Singapore, if you have not been there, I would recommend a stop over, yes, for more than the average two days, Singapore offers a lot and not only great food, architecture, entertainment and culture. A place I rediscovered every time I have been there and have enjoyed taking my young son as well. The image depicted is from my room balcony at the Swissotel Stamford Tower, Raffles City (a complex designed by M.I.Pei in the 1980's completed in 1986 including one office tower, a conference centre, shopping mall and three hotel towers, including the 73 Level Stamford Tower).  

Ironically, Singapore has been to me a great teacher, thanks SG for nearly 20 of great lessons. Cheers!

Guillermo Aranda-Mena Ⓒ2023

Comments